Monday, September 26, 2005

Justin's First Kiss

When my mother picked Justin up on Friday afternoon he informed her that he has a girlfriend. When I called her to check in after she picks him up, she passed the news along to me. I asked her a few questions but she didn't know the answers, so I waited until that evening to probe Justin myself ...

I asked him how he wound up with a girlfriend. He said that at naptime he and "Haley" were laying next to each other and she told him that they were boyfriend and girlfriend now. I asked him some more questions like if he really liked her and if he thought she were pretty (his response to both of those questions was "yes"). Anyway I forget how it came up, but he told me that he kissed her. I couldn't believe it. My five-year-old baby has had his first kiss with a girl?!?! How could that be?!?! I asked him where he kissed her. "On the forehead?" I asked. Pointing to his lips, he said, "Here." That sealed it. It really was his first official kiss with a girl. Not that I'm afraid they'll elope, but I had my mother tell their teacher to separate them when she dropped Justin off this morning. He is definitely David's son ...

After Justin's revelation, I just kinda sat there lamenting how fast kids grow up today. I don't know if I looked sad or perplexed or what, but my expression caused Jordyn to ask what was wrong. I told her that I couldn't believe that her younger brother had kissed girl. And do you know what she told me???? She told me that she had kissed a boy too. I needed to find out if hers had been official too, so I asked, "Where did you kiss him?" I added hopefully, "On the cheek?" Her response let me know that her first kiss had been official too. So I asked her the boy's name - the name she told me escapes me right now, but she only gave his first name so I asked her his last name. And do you know what she told me??? She said she forgot because it happened two years ago when she was in kindergarten! What the??? Is Kissing 101 part of the kindergarten curriculum these days???

No, I'm not mad because my two youngest children had their first kiss at age 5. It's all innocent enough, and I'm particularly pleased that Justin's was special enough to come and tell Mommy about it. However, like I've already said, it does make me wonder why they have to grow up so fast.

Oh well, according to Jared, he's made it to the sixth grade without his lips touching anyone else's that wasn't a relative. At least that's what he says. I believe him too. He's showing little to no interest in girls - he still thinks their pretty gross, except for one girl in his class that he made me promise not to tell his dad about. When I asked him if he'd like to kiss her he blushed, and didn't deny that he would. But he's shy about those things so I think it'll high school before his lips ever make it far - at least I'm holding out hope for that.

Speaking of Jared, I made one of my most favorite scrapbook LOs of him over the weekend. I'll post it later.

ttfn

No comments: